Some people feel that they should lose weight and get in better shape, but for one reason or another do not want to join a gym. They may not find it affordable or feel too self-conscious about their bodies to work out in front of others. Thankfully, there are many alternatives that allow you to achieve your fitness goals in the comfort of your own home. Below are five ways for exercising without spending lots of money or leaving home.
1. Purchase videos and DVDs for great exercise routines. There are so many workouts available on DVDs these days, you never have to step foot in the gym to lose weight. There are some that involve walking, aerobics, kickboxing, and other ways to get in shape. Some require equipment and others just need you to show up and be ready to move. There are also free online exercise videos available, saving you the cost of a DVD.
2. Set up your own home gym. If you are more into body building or simply want to get stronger, investing in home gym equipment such as barbells, weights, and benches may be a better alternative. Make sure you have ample space for your equipment as well as room for yourself to maneuver. The equipment may cost more than a gym membership upfront, but it will be worth it over time because it's a simple one time fee.
3. Get outside and get fit. There are many ways that you can incorporate fitness into your daily outdoor activities. Taking a stroll or jog around the neighborhood is probably the simplest way to exercise, so long as you get your heart rate up so that it is effective. Moving the lawn with a push mower weekly is another great way to get a work out.
4. Do body weight exercises. There are many routines that you can find online that require nothing more than your body to get fit. Squats, push ups, crunches, and planks are a few examples of activities you can do at home that do not require you to buy anything special.
This way of getting fit is perfect for anyone just starting out, as they are the cheapest route to go when it comes to personal fitness. You can always add weights or stretch bands later if you need something more challenging.
5. Incorporate items in your home. Believe it or not, but you probably already have some things in your home that could qualify as workout equipment. Two five pound bags of sugar can make perfect weights. Jogging the stairs is much more affordable than buying a step machine or treadmill.
As you can see, there are numerous ways that you can strive for fitness without leaving your home. In many cases, you can exercise with little or no money spent out of your pocket. Get creative and you can come up with several workout routines to do at home that will not break the bank!