Flexibility has been singled out as one of the most important components of the golf swing. Any time you have tight muscles your body responds in restricted movement. So, optimal flexibility becomes the key to freedom of movement in the swing. Any time you can enhance your flexibility, you have the potential to lengthen your golf swing and create greater club head speed. A golfer’s focus should always be on restoring normal range of motion before progressing onto more advanced strength programs.
Dynamic stretches are highly recommended prior to each round of golf. Dynamic stretches are those that keep your body in motion throughout the full range of the stretch. It should not be a time consuming process. It should only take 10 or 15 minutes of your time and should be part of a full warm up program you perform prior to play. This includes time to warm up your muscles, practice your technique and mentally prepare yourself for the round ahead.
The ultimate goal is to increase the functional range of motion around the joints affecting the golf swing. Limited range of motion contributes to improper mechanics, fatigue, and injury. Here is a comprehensive list of benefits you’ll see by increasing your flexibility through a regular stretching program.
• Increases range of motion allowing you to stretch and reach further
• Improves distance, power, accuracy and consistency
• Reduces the incidence and severity of low back pain
• Improves your power in explosive activities
• Improves circulation and blood flow
• Relieves muscle soreness after intense physical activity
• Improves posture and muscle balance
• Increases muscle coordination
• Promotes a more fluid and natural golf swing
• Increases neuromuscular coordination
• Increases level of golf performance
• Allows you to feel more free through the full range of movement
Take time to prepare your body for golf and you'll notice a significant difference in your playing ability.