It is a common belief that luck has much to do with making good in business. There are, of course, those who believe otherwise. Some would rather believe in explanations that are more realistic like determination and effort counting more than sheer luck. Nevertheless, whether one is a believer of luck, destiny or hard work and perseverance, everyone agrees that skills are necessary to succeed in any business. Just like any business, there are affiliate marketing skills that must be learned and used to increase the likelihood of success.
Skills in affiliate marketing are essential especially when you do not have a consultant to help you get your business up and running. You need skills to find clients, to drive traffic to the website, to deal with customer problems diplomatically, to monetize the site, and to be able to smartly choose the right affiliates to deal with.
Here are some of the most basic and critical affiliate marketing skills that you need to learn:
• Skill to discriminate what affiliate networks to join – Just like everything else in the Internet, there are many affiliate networks out there for you. Finding one is not the hard part; finding the suitable one for your kind of blog site and readership is the more critical one. Each blog site serves a particular kind of readership, so choose the right kind of affiliate network that has products that suit the needs and interests of your readers.
• Skill to pick the appropriate products to promote – Knowing what kind of readers or site visitors you have offers an advantage when choosing the affiliate products to promote. If your site deals with gardening tools, what is the possibility of getting your readers interested in fashion accessories? Of course, everyone dresses up and uses accessories, so that there is always that possibility of some readers actually buying the accessories. However, if you will promote gardening accessories or books, now, you’re talking. Most likely, everyone is interested and salivating with the products you are promoting.
• Skill to get your loyal followers and accidental visitors to click on affiliate links – Putting the right products to promote has a lot to do if the readers will have the interest to click the affiliate links in your site. Having tools to help you tag the keywords in the affiliate link can increase the CTR significantly. Check out the tools and compare their features before settling with one.
• Skill to decide which banners to use for each of your promoted products – Knowing which banner can sufficiently flicker the interest of your readers is important in order to get your readers clicking and checking out what are in those banners and links. It takes skill and acumen to determine which of the promotional banners can best do this. Big, flashy, and animated banners generally perform better, but check out how this will affect the loading speed. You do not want it to drag the loading time because that can drive away prospective readers.
• Skill to pick the positions the banners you want to promote – Finding the right affiliate network and products can only best serve your purpose when you have the skill to decide on where to put these banner ads in your website. There is no hard and fast rule about the placement, but it is always best to place it somewhere you want your readers to focus.
Through it all, the most important skill is still knowing about the preferences of your readers. Your knowledge of your readers’ profiles, needs, and wants can guide you through the process. It is equally important to be perceptive, creative, and resourceful to succeed in affiliate marketing.
Luck? Well, it is hard not to be lucky when you have all these critical affiliate marketing skills.