Aging is a normal process that any living being goes through. Almost anyone wishes to continue to have strength and vigor for the next 20 to 30 years. However, due to age, health status and other factors individuals going through the aging process require additional help. This will aid them to go through and complete the activities of daily living since it can be quite challenging for elderly individuals. There are different options when it comes to geriatric home treatment, this article will help you determine if you are qualified for this treatment.
How did geriatric home treatment come to be? Since elderly individuals require regular care, it is only natural to have facilities and institutions devoted to this purpose. On the other hand, there are elderly individuals who much rather like to stay in the comfort of their home while gaining access to the services and care they require. With this need, home treatment for elderly individuals became available.
Elderly individuals living at home also need medical care, home safety assessment, and of course, assistance for daily activities as mentioned above. This service can be quite expensive, however, there are institutions that offer financial assistance so be sure to research about this. Here are some steps to take in determining if your elderly loved one is qualified with sponsored home treatment.
1. Determine the needs of your elderly family member. This can be done by checking their abilities and difficulties when it comes to daily care and activities. There are different kinds of elderly home care and it is essential to identify which one your elderly loved one requires. Insurance coverage also depends on the individual’s specific needs and health condition.
2. Check with the expert by scheduling an appointment with your elderly family member’s doctor, request for a complete examination to cover all the bases. There are insurance companies and home care programs that have a standard when it comes to the elderly individual’s disability and need requirement to gain financial assistance. You must request your elderly family member’s doctor for a letter of medical necessity clearly stating the patient’s condition and his/her opinion regarding in-home care.
3. Contact your health insurance company and check if your elderly family member is covered under their home health program. There health insurance companies that cover most of the home-care services if the client meet a certain criteria. These are as follows:
4. Contact your area’s Agency on Aging. This agency knows all about the various state programs that include services for elderly home care. They support the act for older individuals; that was approved in the 1960s. These kinds of laws always ensure that there are funds from the state and the local governments to ensure programs dedicated for the elderly, disabled and unwell are continued.
5. Other factors can ensure geriatric home treatment. This can be determined by contacting the state health services and inquiring about your elderly family member’s eligibility for elderly home care through their programs. Some of the aspects that the state’s health services look into are low income, few assets, etc. You will be speaking to an agent who will assess your elderly family member’s needs and provide you with options. The requirements for home treatment may vary from state to state.
If your elderly family member is a veteran, contact the Veteran’s Administration office to gain assistance. These are just some steps to take in determining your elderly loved one’s qualification for home treatment.
There are different kinds of elderly home care and it is essential to identify which one your elderly loved one requires.