When people think of success in studies, they tend to think that the only things a student needs to do are listen to the teacher, take notes, read books, and study for tests. The truth is it is a lot harder or more complicated than that. Students need to acquire and hone various skills in order to use strategies on how to be successful in studies effectively.
It does not end in knowing the strategies for a successful learning process. For strategies to be effective, students also need to be determined and driven.
• Planning is necessary. Any time spent on doing schoolwork is considered study time. It may be done through advanced reading, doing homework, or preparing for a long test. Students need to see to it that they allocate enough time for studying every week. Schedules help students stay on their toes and sticking to it requires self-discipline.
• Desire and interest. Success in studies is not measured by medals or by getting the highest marks in class. To be able to succeed, students need to have the desire and interest for learning. Through passion, they can learn by heart rather than by head. The success of the student lies in how the learned lessons are put to good and practical use as the student lives on a day-to-day basis.
• Stay connected to the environment. It is good for determined students to hang out with classmates and friends who can help you focus than distract your attention from your goals. Spending time with goal-oriented friends crushes out temptations that can cause you to deviate from your academic goals. Study groups can also be formed and more ideas about a certain topic can be developed.
• Understand failure but don’t dwell on it. Successful people must have failed at some point in their lives. Students need to know and understand that the road of to success is full of bumps and hardships and there is no detour. To be successful, a lot of sacrifices and decisions must be done responsibly. Failures are important because they bring lessons to learn.
• Be thankful to people who give comments. Successful people take comments positively; they take it as a feedback. Though comments may let you feel bad, acceptance is important. To be able to succeed, listen to these feedbacks and try to work on them. In fact, this can help you change and grow in a good way.
• Never hesitate to raise a hand and ask questions. There are many possible reasons as to why some or many students chicken out when it comes to asking questions. However, students need to remember and realize that it is only through asking questions can one become sure of the lessons. Yes, perhaps students can rely on books; but there are certain teachers that like it their way. Hence, textbooks are just for backups.
• Good study habits. However, the bottom line is still having good study habits. Here are some of the most common studying tips.
1. Break down study time into small quotients.
2. When working on problems and assignments, always remember to start at the most difficult.
3. Before starting on making homework, try to view notes first.
4. Do not entertain any means of connecting with people.
5. Students having difficulties can always ask their classmates if they know what to do.
6. Include study time during weekends.
These are among the most effective strategies on how to be successful in studies. Each of these techniques is worth the try. Students must only remember that for these strategies to work, determination and passion for studying are essential.