Being pregnant causes all kinds of stress and emotional turmoil, from the planning and preparing to the out of control hormonal situation. You've got to get a hold of yourself! Handling the stress will be much easier if you've got a few tricks up your sleeve, like the following ten tips.
1. Use scented candles, potpourri and other forms of aroma therapy. Scatter them all around your house and try to coordinate the fragrances; cinnamon spice goes well with other warm and musky scents while vanilla complements nearly all floral-based smells. Make sure you can smell them as soon as you enter a room and keep some near your bed, too.
2. Enjoy luke-warm bubble baths. Earlier on in your pregnancy, when you can still maneuver safely, try soaking in water that isn't too hot and with relaxing bubbles that are 100 percent hypo-allergenic. Let everyone know you are getting in some serious "me time," and don't forget to turn your phone to silent mode.
3. Make a date with your significant other. Romance is a great way to forget about troubles and leave stress behind; make reservations at your favorite eatery or if possible, the restaurant where your very first date took place! Drop hints to your partner that you need some special time together and let him plan it out, to give you the element of surprise.
4. Get a long and soothing massage. Massage during pregnancy is just a little bit of heaven on earth; all that extra weight and the strange happenings with your hormones get totally overwhelming! Let it all be temporarily rubbed away by expert hands, or if your partner is proficient, he can give you regular massage therapy!
5. Make an appointment at the nail salon. Schedule yourself an invigorating pedicure and pick out a fabulous color. You probably want to avoid inhaling the chemicals at close range, so keep the fingernails bare for now.
6. Turn to meditation. All kinds of techniques can be employed to work the stress from your body using the power of your mind. Don't be afraid to try something new that might benefit both you and baby.
7. Snuggle with a book and cup of green tea. Reading is a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon and doing it with a healthy beverage maxes your enjoyment and the soothing benefits it can have on your stress levels.
8. Walk in sunshine. Taking walks often can keep you in shape and keep your stress down. Have a friend to walk with or ask your partner to join you.
9. Tune-out media. Too much TV, Internet and especially news can be overwhelming to an already stressed out, soon to be mom. Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can now by turning off appliances that fill your home with noise and bad vibes.
10. Go on a mini-vacation. Enjoy a weekend away together or by yourself, bringing only the bare necessities with you. Just focus on relaxing and enjoying the scenery, solitude or interesting cuisine. Keep your feet up and the pressure off as much as you can.
Even if you don't find yourself totally stressed out by your pregnancy, you owe it to yourself to get as much rest and relaxation as you possibly can. Especially considering all those sleepless nights and 4 am feedings you will be facing! Take a deep breath and note your favorite tips from the above list, and don't hesitate to put them to good use throughout your pregnancy.