By The Editor
Are you interested in starting a much more challenging type of business? One type of business that presents a challenge is starting heating and air conditioning repair business. Unlike other businesses, HVAC repair business requires intense knowledge and skills to keep the business up and running.
As a sole proprietor, it is a must to possess basic to complex troubleshooting skills for heating and air conditioning devices before entrusting the task to someone else. Learning the basics on how to repair heating and air conditioning units and systems is a good stepping stone before starting your own business ventures.
1. Enroll in a short term HVAC course program by checking your local community college, attending seminars or taking online classes. Normally, the courses offer a one and a half year period to complete the whole course and acquire certification.
2. Gain more experience by becoming an apprentice to well known HVAC repair shops. As an owner of HVAC repair business, your employee will automatically respect you, if you are knowledgeable and experienced in handling HVAC. Being knowledgeable will decrease the risk of being taken advantage by some employees.
3. Acquire repair manuals on heating and air conditioning. Although you may become an expert on repairing heating and air conditioning, there are times that you may forget some simple or complex troubleshooting steps for repairing a heating and air conditioning system. Owning a repair manual for heating and air conditioning is the perfect back-up plan when such incident happens.
4. Joining an association is optional; however, it can be a big asset to your business. Organizations for HVAC technicians and business can promote your business. There are clients that prefer to hire HVAC companies that belong to an organization.
• Location – A foot traffic location for your business is not top priority, but the location must be easy to remember by your client. Moreover, expect most of your clients not to visit your store upfront, instead they are relying on how effective your business advertising is in the market. Majority of your clients will contact from your website or your business contact number.
• Advertising – Advertising is the heart of your HVAC repair business, this requires massive planning on different strategies to attract potential clients. This is the reason why before opening your business, advertising measures must be ready to be sent out to the public. This includes handling fliers, business cards, leaving business brochures to selected businesses up to putting up a billboard.
• Service Vehicle – A good investment is owning a service vehicle whether it is brand new or a pre-loved automobile, this is very useful in terms of going on house to house calls for check-up and repair services. The ideal service vehicle is either a van or a truck to carry heavy equipment needed during the repair.
• Hire Assistance – For starters, repairing heating and air conditioning does not necessarily require massive employment unlike other businesses. However, most of the jobs are not feasible for a one man job. Try to hire an assistant that is skilled in repair as well.
• Tools – Do not also forget to invest in the right tools that are essential for heating and air conditioning repair such as hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, electrical tap, and leak detector. Clients will expect that you have a complete set of tools.
So, if you are determined to accept the challenge in starting a heating and air conditioning repair business, it is better to be prepared by considering the tips discussed above.